cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Geoff Howard" <>
Subject RE: benchmarking Cocoon?
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2003 23:15:28 GMT

No, that's great for developers already committed to cocoon,
but that's not a useful metric to those evaluating cocoon
against the other "options": straight JSP, filtered servlets,
struts, ASP, PHP, ColdFusion, Tea, XMLC,
&that-perl-xml-xslt-thing-that-i-can-never-remember-the-name; ,
etc. etc. etc.

I put options in quotes because there aren't a lot of java-xml-
xlst options out there.  Of course, it's almost impossible to
do apples to apples comparisons against those, but it is
reasonable to try.  If Cocoon takes 100 times as long on average
per page, it's not a viable option for people.  If it's fast, but
needs 10 times the memory, same thing (although memory is cheap now).
The first word out about Cocoon seems to be "neat but really slow
and a memory hog".  I wasn't around then, but it sounds like that
wasn't far off with Cocoon1.  If things have changed (as it sure
seems it has), it wouldn't be bad for business to "publish" some
kind of quantitative tests that prove that.

Cocoon offers so much in the way of SoC, etc. that it doesn't need
to be the fastest - it just needs to be in the game.

View raw message