cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <shan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: benchmarking Cocoon?
Date Sat, 19 Apr 2003 18:07:10 GMT

On Saturday, April 19, 2003, at 12:15  PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> on 4/19/03 4:42 PM Diana Shannon wrote:
>

>> On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 07:15  PM, Geoff Howard wrote:
>>

>>> I put options in quotes because there aren't a lot of java-xml-
>>> xlst options out there.  Of course, it's almost impossible to
>>> do apples to apples comparisons against those, but it is
>>> reasonable to try.  If Cocoon takes 100 times as long on average
>>> per page, it's not a viable option for people.  If it's fast, but
>>> needs 10 times the memory, same thing (although memory is cheap now).
>>

>> Although memory is cheaper, I think the cost of Cocoon/Java hosting,
>> with higher RAM requirements, remains a limiting factor in adoption for
>> small sites/limited budgets. In spite of the elegance of what Stephano
>> recently demo'd for a small site on this list, for my low-budget
>> clients, I'll probably stick with the current Forrest approach to
>> generate static pages, with all dynamic capabilities implemented in
>> php/perl/python (perhaps even generated by a modified Forrest). Clients
>> simply don't understand -- no matter how clearly you explain the
>> benefits -- why they should have to pay more than $10/month for
>> hosting.
>> Perhaps dynamic sites created with small budgets (by people like me who
>> don't want to manage a server just to host client sites affordably)
>> aren't Cocoon's niche.
>
> You are very right. In fact, my own father wouldn't have spent more than
> that! (he doesn't know what cocoon is, nor cares, in fact) I would have
> installed a local server here and upload nightly a statically generated
> site.
>
> Still, this has nothing to do with cocoon. Static hosting is *much*
> cheaper than anything else.

No, not "static" -- I mean low cost. I use cocoon for dynamic
capabilities on the generation side, but php/perl/python for dynamic
needs on the serving side. For example, the modified Forrest generates
the code I need, along with the "static" html pages. Technically
speaking, I don't think it's not fair to say this is static. Just a
cheaper approach to simple dynamic hosting which allows me to continue
to use Cocoon for these kinds of projects.

> Being able to 'nightly push' a
> moderately-infrequently-updated web site from a local dynamic
> cocoon-driven poor-man-cms solution

This will be an invaluable tool, of course. I can't wait to see your
sample.

<snip/>

> maybe it's our fault to ship cocoon with "ready for cnn.com" setting and
> should aim a little lower than that!

+1 -- or have multiple config files, based on common use cases

Diana