cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [RT] Towards a new/another Forms Framework
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 12:28:08 GMT

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 02:50 PM, Geissel, Adrian wrote:

> I've been watching this thread for a while now, and as a regular Cocoon
> power-user, I am keen to see a good forms framework.

Me too ...

One major issue I see .... maybe getting in the way of the discussion

An ideal forms framework is complicated by the fact that people need to
do very different things ....

Here are examples of two obvious uses, and how they can differ:

	Editing 'business' data

		'forms' contain simple data types that need validating as data-types
		often require JavaBean etc. object mapping with business logic
		often require RDBMS etc. mapping for persistence

	Editing XML Content

		'forms' contain a mixture of simple data types and markup
		often need wysiwyg editing for the markup
		might need to transform form data from one MU language to another
		need to validate XML fragments
		need to roundtrip XML fragments between editor and server
		need to modify XML 'documents' on the server

IMHO, it is the differences between these typical needs, that is
causing some of the misunderstandings between people who are currently
discussing form frameworks.

hope this helps

regards Jeremy