cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <shan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PMC Vote] Copyright footer on Cocoon Wiki
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 14:37:00 GMT

On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 05:08  PM, Berin Loritsch wrote:

>> Does anyone out there with more legal knowledge know if "Cocoon
>> Community"
>> is good enough? If so, then I'm happy to change to +1.
>
> If it is a legal entity, Yes.  The ASF is a legal entity.  The FSF is a
> legal entity.
>
> They are both incorporated with By-laws and legally accounted for by the
> government.
>
> Otherwise, all material is copyright the original author.

I disagree with the interpretation expressed by last sentence, based on
the word "Otherwise". If doc contributions follow guidelines set up in
the ASF Contributor License, then authors reserve all right, title, and
interest in their contributions -- whether donating to the ASF or not.
(This is straight from the license.) The use of the term "otherwise"
suggests that authors retain copyright only if they donate to a
non-legal entity. IANAL, but I think this is incorrect.

Still, wiki authors don't send in an ASF Contributor License, so I can't
see that we can enforce much about copyright in this context.

Diana