cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: [RT] the quest for the perfect template language
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 11:15:25 GMT
Le Jeudi, 3 avr 2003, à 12:33 Europe/Zurich, Stefano Mazzocchi a écrit :

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>> That is, unless real good XML editors are widely available, but this
>> is not the case today, IMHO programmers prefer writing structured
>> ASCII than XML because of the tools available.
>
> I disagree.
>
> When you have to do stuff like
>
>  <xsl:if test="count(//whatever) &gt; 3">
>
> it's the time to realize there is something *dead* wrong with this
> syntax.

Right - but my vision of a "good" XML editor is one that would make
this invisible - a tall order for sure.
Anyway, whatever the exact reason it's a fact that many of us prefer to
write structured text than XML.

> ...And since the reason why xslt is XML is to allow auto-processing,
> but tell me: how many times did you have to write a stylesheet that
> processed a stylesheet?

I see your point - I cannot see an advantage today of having XSLT
stylesheets written in XML.

> ...But the real question becomes: who's concern is to 'prepare' the
> data for the visualization? the view itself or the underlying
> controller?
>
> I'm not sure there is a clear answer to that, but for sure not one
> that rules out the other.

This is indeed hard to answer.
Maybe an "allow extensions" switch at the top of the templatesheet
would allow programmers to decide which way they want to go.
I don't think ruling out extensions forever is a good thing, but
forcing people to explicitely turn them on might help as a warning.

> ...Yes. If done, the above would just be syntax sugar on top of XSLT.
> Potentially implementing on *part* of it but for sure without
> extending it or it would be impossible to transform it transparently
> to XSLT.

Cool.

> ...Also because I'm lazy and I want to reuse good machinery (XSLTC)
> when I see it :)

As we know lazyness is a virtue here ;-)

-Bertrand