cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@stjude.org>
Subject RE: XMLForm & JSF
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 14:45:12 GMT
ivelin <ivelin@apache.org> asked:

> BTW, what sort of things is it hard to implement with Sch?

There was quite a long thread about this issue on xml-dev just a couple of
weeks ago....  The one thing I keep running into is date arithmetic (is this
date before or after this other date). XSLT extensions make it easy, but you
know the issues around that.  Other arithmetic type validations can be a
pain in some cases (ie; do all the answers sum to 100%) in particular when
the list of possible answers is large.  In theory XSLT makes summing the
values of nodes easy, but in practice with forms the node values aren't
easily matched against a simple pattern.  Some times other types of
correlated answers are hard to evaluate (if user answered yes to question 10
then questions 11 through 15 must be filled out, if they answered no, then
there should be no answers for those questions).  Again, theory says it's
easy, but in practice it can be a pain.

Having said all that I'll note that at least with Schematron you can assert
such things as part of the schema, for many things like this you can't do
that with other schema languages at all!  However, until people get used to
declarative type languages (if they ever do) they'll just find it easier to
fall back to procedural coding to do it instead...