cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@stjude.org>
Subject RE: XMLForm & JSF
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 15:01:09 GMT
ivelin <ivelin@apache.org> asked:

> I kept evaluating the commons validator and looking for
> examples. I might be wrong, but it doesn't seem like a very
> intuitive and straightforward tool to use. After a few days
> of learning it is still not clear to me how to set it up and
> use for different scenarios. What is your impression. Is the
> validator really as popular and widely used as the basic
> Struts itself? When a friend of mine pointed me to the
> Schematron home page some time ago, it only took me a few
> minutes to understand the concept and how to use it. I liked
> immediately.
>
> Comments?
> Has somebody else used both validation techniques to compare?

I haven't used commons validator, but I agree. I looked at it and just gave
up; Schematron seemed like a much better way to go and we are now heading
towards using it for much of our validation in the long run.  I'd say all,
but there are still things that are hard to do in Schematron and it's not
clear that we can do everything we want with just Schematron. We may have to
introduce some local extensions, it's not clear if that would be true with
commons validator, I suspect not...