cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@stjude.org>
Subject RE: [RT] the quest for the perfect template language
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 16:39:57 GMT
Don Saxton <dsaxton@pacbell.net> wrote:

<snip/>

> I am surprised at the scarcity of wysiwyg template programs.
> Even macromedia, who owns a server solution and has the most
> popular html editor, seems very static aside from flash.
> While xsl seems hard to some of us, I think there are some
> other more fundamentally hard problems to solve in achieving
> wysiwyg for any language.

One nice thing in using mostly fixed XSLT combined with XML templates is
that you can do mostly WYSIWYG with XML/XSLT editors like Stylus, eXcelon
and XML Spy if your target is HTML. I say "mostly" because it's sometimes
you end up flipping back and forth between views to see how things are
progressing, it's usually not direct editing of the visual result.
None-the-less it can be a pretty efficient way to work.