cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [RT] Link Rewriting
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 19:25:17 GMT

On Tuesday, April 29, 2003, at 11:02 AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 28/04/2003 22.06:
>> on 4/28/03 9:16 AM Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>>> When that URL is accessed, it should be mapped to a SystemID,
>>> allowing independent re-implementation of the storage layer.
>> I don't see this. doesn't the sitemap give you enough decoupling
>> capabilities already?
>
> How it's generally used, it simply matches urls to sources. This means
> that if I need to change all sources to a different store, or part of
> it, I have this "aspect" intermixed in all matches.

Spot on.

On Tuesday, April 29, 2003, at 11:09 AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote, On 29/04/2003 8.50:

[snip]

>> So what I'm suggesting is that if your users are sufficiently
>> sitemap-savvy, and your sitemap is sufficiently modular, one can have
>> all
>> the benefits of your proposed declarator -> XML linkmapping system.
>> In
>> fact it's much more powerful; how could a linkmap file handle a RSS
>> file,
>> for example?  You'd need to tweak the sitemap to do the
>> rss2document.xsl
>> conversion.
>
> It's about SoC. One part defines the source mapping, the other how to
> process it. I think that he is talking about a scenario where the user
> does not add new types, but can easily configure just the new places
> where to find the sources.

"Right again Robin" - Batman

[snip]

When the burden of mapping becomes to great to maintain in a sitemap
(or set of sitemaps) techniques of (pre-generation) URL mapping become
really useful.

Thanks for all the feedback !!

regards Jeremy

"Objective reality is a synthetic construct, dealing with a
hypothetical universalization of a multitude of subjective realities."
Philip K Dick - "The Electric Ant"