cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject Re: Semantic analysis of the namespace URI used in Cocoon HEAD
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 03:39:47 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi dijo:
> Final thoughts
> ==============
>
> I'm perfectly aware that all those changes are back-incompatible, but,
> IMO, we *MUST* make an effort to keep a registry of the namespaces used
> and make sure we both control them and keep an eye on their pattern
> coherence.

Hi:

We already have this kind of problems. When we change from one version to
another into the same namespace. Take for example:

1-the namespace of the "error generator" that changed "recently" from 1.0
to 2.0.

2-The i18n tranformer changed the version too.
3-Some tags are changed into cocoon.xconf and sitemap.xmap.

Well, of course that all these changes are needed to get a better code and
from a coherence point of view.

To be clear My vote is: +1  ;-)

But, ....

I think we need to write some document to track the changes for people
comming from older versions, lets say, 2.0.4

In that effort I propose:

1-create a new help document that will be filled as people start to change
namespaces to the correct convention. Something like:

NAMESPACES CHANGED
Old Cocoon                             ---> New Cocoon
==========                            ==========
http://cocoon.apache.org/session/1.0   http://apache.org/cocoon/session/1.0

XMAP TAGS CHANGED
Old Cocoon                             ---> New Cocoon

and so on.

I think that writing this kind of doc can helps people to migrate.

2-Another option can be a simple Java tool that can run to replace all the
strings into all the code that need to migrate ;-)

OK, this are just some ideas.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.