cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Bug 17763 (comments from external DTD cause serializer problems) solution
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 22:45:37 GMT

Bruno Dumon wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 18:15, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>>Bruno Dumon wrote:
>>

>>>[...] As a solution, I propose we throw all events between
>>>start/endDTD away in the avalon parser component.
>>>

>>Should this be configurable behavior - is there a usecase to have these
>>events in the pipeline?
>

> I can't think of one.

me neither, yet still, it might be a good idea to just document
this quite well, AND maybe add a log at info level stating this

This keeps on being a very arbitrary choice, so given the
principle of least astonishment adding enough warings about this
here and there should be the least we can do

although my biggest astonishment would come from someone that
actually has an app relying on this.

For that manner (and while at it): "why not make it configurable
to even do away with all comments at the start?"  The only ones I
see usefull to keep are in fact the ones that get inserted in
mid-pipe (transformer) by some xslt for debugging purposes...

>>Another option to solve it is to ignore these events in the serializer
>>itself. But ignoring them in the parser will give better performance.
>

> Yes, and they don't serve any meaningful purpose anyway...

-marc=