cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Semantic analysis of the namespace URI used in Cocoon HEAD
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:42:33 GMT
on 4/29/03 10:56 AM Stephan Michels wrote:

>>Okay, the namespaces already exist and its only names, so it
>>would be the easiest to keep the existing pattern, bit please
>>avoid creating namespace variants based on version numbers.
>

> I agree here, you doesn't gain a benefit using a version within
> a namespace.

Contracts need to be uniquely identified. There is no way out of this.

There are are three simple way to uniquely identify an xml markup:

 1) versioning the namespace (as we do in the sitemap, for example)
 2) a version="" attribute and metodology (as done in XSLT)
 3) a version="" pseudoattribute in a PI (as XML itself does)

In my personal quest against PI, I rule #3 out. The other two remains.

I personally believe that #2 is simply too complex for what we need. So
#1 remains.

The namespaces should only help to get an information,
> where these element come from. Moreover, using versions allows to
> use different version of the same element within a document.
>
> So here my -1,

We need to be able to clearly identify a contract. Without a versioning
system, we can't.

So, either you propose an alternative unique identification of the
contract (not of their families!) or your -1 is useless because it
abolishes existing practices without providing an alternative to
something that is already in place.

--
Stefano.