cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] allow redirects in handle-errors
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:58:25 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote, On 30/04/2003 14.47:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Considering the hot discussion around redirects in handle-errors, I
>> call for a vote on this feature.
>>
>> Do you want to allow redirects in handle-errors ?
>>
>> Here's my +1.
>
> As long as you take away any dynamic aspects of the handle-errors.
>
> I.e. either redirect to another machine (no localhost or internal
> redirects), or provide a simple pipeline (i.e. only file generator,
> XSLTTransformer, and HTML serializer).
>
> It is critical that the handle-errors be as simple as possible with
> the least amount of the possibility for abuse.  Think Exception
> handlers here.

The vote here is about allowing redirects.

I'm personally favoreable of allowing redirects to outer sites as it
does no harm AFAIK. The important concept is "what goes in handle-errors
remains there". No "gotos" that return from handle errors, either
explicit (internal redirect) or implicit (in Actions).

As for limiting the type of pipeline components, it's not that
important, because if an error is thrown in handle-errors, it's rethrown
by Cocoon, so it can be managed.

     In other words:

     handle-errors is the *last best chance* of handling an error
     within Cocoon.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -