cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: Multi-source XML pipeline model
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:53:02 GMT

Milo Hyson wrote, On 30/04/2003 11.05:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> [In Cocoon]" All data transformed by the pipeline emanates from one
>> place and has to be processed by the same set of transformations."
>> This is not correct; Cocoon has aggregation, and conditions inside
>> pipelines, and pipeline chanining...
> My bad. The information on aggregation was not very prominently placed
> in the Cocoon documentation. Having read that info now, and other
> sources around the net, I see that Cocoon does indeed support the
> multi-source model. However, the question now is can Cocoon be
> integrated into a Servlet environment strictly as a presentation engine?
> Looking around at places such as Cocoon Wiki, the answer seems to be no
> -- at least not in the same manner as JSPs.
>  From what I can tell, Cocoon can process the output from a Servlet
> (either embedded within the Cocoon context or sourced from an external
> URL), but it cannot execute within the context of an external Servlet.

It can. Cocoon in an Avalon Component that can be used anywhere, and
even not in servlets.

> It seems that, no matter what, Cocoon always executes within its own
> application context (please correct me if I am wrong). What I'd like to
> see is a lightweight version of Cocoon that can be embedded within a
> Tomcat app to handle the view components. Any plans or available work on
> something like this?

In fact we have now a bean and a cli environment in which Cocoon
operates. Cocoon can even be used as a Servlet filter (IIRC we already
have code for it).

I invite you to the Cocoon mailing lists so you can have all the info
you need.

>> You start right on saying Cocoon is not correct and maybe need to
>> maintain a new community project... I'd say it would be polite to ask
>> Cocooners first. We (Cocooners) are very open to new ideas and proposals.
> That's exactly why I posted what I did -- to gain feedback from those in
> the know. Based on the information I had at the time (including
> discussions with people who use Cocoon)

on cocoon-users mailing list?

, it appeared the multi-source
> model was not supported. Therefore, I took the proactive approach and
> rolled-my-own-pipeline. It appears I did reinvent the wheel (at least
> somewhat), thus the reason why I stopped work on XFormer until I could
> discuss the matter further.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -