cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Milo Hyson <m...@cyberlifelabs.com>
Subject Re: Multi-source XML pipeline model
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:05:58 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> [In Cocoon]" All data transformed by the pipeline emanates from one
> place and has to be processed by the same set of transformations."
>
> This is not correct; Cocoon has aggregation, and conditions inside
> pipelines, and pipeline chanining...

My bad. The information on aggregation was not very prominently placed
in the Cocoon documentation. Having read that info now, and other
sources around the net, I see that Cocoon does indeed support the
multi-source model. However, the question now is can Cocoon be
integrated into a Servlet environment strictly as a presentation engine?
Looking around at places such as Cocoon Wiki, the answer seems to be no
-- at least not in the same manner as JSPs.

 From what I can tell, Cocoon can process the output from a Servlet
(either embedded within the Cocoon context or sourced from an external
URL), but it cannot execute within the context of an external Servlet.
It seems that, no matter what, Cocoon always executes within its own
application context (please correct me if I am wrong). What I'd like to
see is a lightweight version of Cocoon that can be embedded within a
Tomcat app to handle the view components. Any plans or available work on
something like this?

> You start right on saying Cocoon is not correct and maybe need to
> maintain a new community project... I'd say it would be polite to ask
> Cocooners first. We (Cocooners) are very open to new ideas and proposals.

That's exactly why I posted what I did -- to gain feedback from those in
the know. Based on the information I had at the time (including
discussions with people who use Cocoon), it appeared the multi-source
model was not supported. Therefore, I took the proactive approach and
rolled-my-own-pipeline. It appears I did reinvent the wheel (at least
somewhat), thus the reason why I stopped work on XFormer until I could
discuss the matter further.

--
Milo Hyson
CyberLife Labs