cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Allow redirects inside error handling
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:21:54 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Björn Lütkemeier wrote:
>
>>currently it is explicitly prohibited in Cocoon to use
>><map:redirect-to>-tags within error handlers. Please see our proposal for
>>changing this a few days ago, for which we did not get any answer
>>(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=105110034516051&w=2).
>>
>>If no one disagrees, we would like to start changing the treeprocessor, so
>>that redirects are allowed within error handlers due to the explained
>>reasons.
>>

> I would like to add that we allowed a redirect in an error handler
> until recently; the ability was removed during the changes to allow
> different error generators.

An error handler should do one thing: handle errors.

It should not be complicated, or too dynamic.  If there is a 404 error,
the user of the site needs to know one thing: the link was bad (they
don't need a stack trace proving it).

Is it good to customize the error pages?  Yes.  Error pages that look
like they are part of the site are important.  Error pages that help
the user get back on track (i.e. provide a link to a search function,
a sitemap, and/or the main page) are necessary.

When I see things that try to allow dynamic activity for error handling,
it makes me wince.  There should be no actions, no redirects, no
database access.  At the most, a simple generator/transformer/serializer
chain.  That's it.

Anything more is FS.  By over-customizing the error handling logic you
increase the chance of the error handling not reporting the right
errors.

-----Chris Rock