cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: Allow redirects inside error handling
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:28:24 GMT

Sylvain Wallez wrote, On 29/04/2003 10.29:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Björn Lütkemeier wrote:
>>> currently it is explicitly prohibited in Cocoon to use
>>> <map:redirect-to>-tags within error handlers. Please see our proposal
>>> for
>>> changing this a few days ago, for which we did not get any answer
>>> (
>>> If no one disagrees, we would like to start changing the
>>> treeprocessor, so
>>> that redirects are allowed within error handlers due to the explained
>>> reasons.
>> I would like to add that we allowed a redirect in an error handler
>> until recently; the ability was removed during the changes to allow
>> different error generators.
> This contraint was added to make Nicola Ken happy.

> I personally didn't
> have good feelings about it, but really wanted custom generators in
> error handling.
> So, since it seems to make more people unhappy : constraint removed !

I still think that this is bad, for the infinite error loop. And no, we
should not make this possible, because errors can always occur in
sitemaps, and infinite loops in a web server are really bad. Furthermore
it also makes it easy to start using error handling for app flow , and
it should *not* be it.

As for the fact that redirects can be done in Actions, well, it should
*not* be possible in handle-errors. It was a bug.

Now that generators can be used, users can generate from another
pipeline, and it's a forward, and include, not a redirect.

Handle errors should not have a goto to external code. No gotos there,

Why would you want a redirect now that generators are possible? I don't
like redirects there, please remove this.

I also think that redirects in Actions are equally bad, as only the
sitemap and the flow should redirect, based on the results of the
components. Redirects in code are a bad programming practice.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -