cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Link Rewriting
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:30:27 GMT

Jeremy Quinn wrote, On 28/04/2003 16.16:
> Most of what I have described here, is how most people use Cocoon.
> What is new here is the use of a LinkMap at the Generation stage to
> de-couple URL from SystemID in a totally arbitrary way. A version of the
> LinkMap idea that makes sense for Dynamic sites. This is what requires
> changes to the way we are able to use input modules, as input modules
> would provide a much cleaner path to handle this rather than
> Transforming a generated LinkMap into CInclude tags to get the content.
>
> Does this make any sense to anybody?

Sure it does, although IMHO it's more suited to forrest-dev than
cocoon-dev ATM.

What you describe here is what I calla resourcemap, that is a descriptor
that creates a mapping between a conceptual source space and the actual
source locations.

If you search the forrest-dev mailing list for resourcemap, you should
find plenty of RTs, even quite recent.

A brief explanation:

There are different URI spaces:

1 - the actual sources
2 - a conceptual aggregated source space

3 - the actual URIs
4 - a conceptual URI space

The current link rewriting is used to make users be able to use 4 and
obtain 3. What you (and I) feel the need of too, is to have 2 map to 1,
so that I can easily swap content sources and keep the sitemap as-is.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -