cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <>
Subject Re: Releasing 2.1-B1
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:18:05 GMT
On 28/04/2003 9:58 Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hi,
> is anything preventing us from releasing 2.1-b1 today or tomorrow?
> If not, I will try my best to get it out :)

+1, and as-is.

We cannot develop new stuff if we are afraid to break user's
installations, who most likely now are based on untagged CVS checkouts
of HEAD on 'a certain date'.

If we provide them with a tagged tree and its build/dist, we at least
can refer to that for fixing showstoppers (not bugs), and it will
provide us with breathing room for shuffling things around and adding
new stuff as well.

After releasing, we collect bugs and classify them as showstoppers or
bugs. Showstoppers get fixed right away, bugs at leasure.

It will also help us in bringing back the understanding that living off
CVS HEAD is, well, living off CVS - no guarantees whatsoever. People
have come to depend on CVS HEAD too much, because there wasn't anything

W.r.t. nomenclature, we could go for 'Release Candidate' until APIs are
solid, and 'Beta' once we stabilized contracts. Another scheme however
might be 'Milestone', which carries no connotation of releasing a final
version any time soon.

Cocoon 2.1 M1 -> Mn -> (APIs solid) beta -> RC (for the impatient) -> final

W.r.t. feature freeze, I agree this is a valid suggestion, but we should
however discuss this since work is on its way in various unrelated
corners and some synchronization and heads-up might be needed. But
releasing a current snapshot might be that heads-up already. ;-)

Steven Noels
Read my weblog at
stevenn at                stevenn at

View raw message