cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Patch]: For possible memory leak
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:12:16 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote, On 24/04/2003 14.51:
>  > Not to mention, when you
>
>> upgrade to Fortress, you will also enjoy faster proxies.
>

> The reason why we are not going to switch to Fortress in this 2.1 release?
> We haven't put out an alpha-beta yet...

Two reasons:

1) Release early, Release often--Cocoon needs to do better (as Stefano
    has repeatedly stated).
2) Fortress is a release candidate, not an official release yet.

I say that since Cocoon is in the habit of doing only releases, no
development releases that they change their practices.

One way of doing things is the Fed-Ex mentality.  You operate by the
clock.  When it is time for a release, you release.  If something isn't
ready for primetime yet, it doesn't get included.  Its better to be
incomplete than late ;P.

Another way of doing things is use the Linux Kernel mentality.  All
even releases are your stable releases.  I.e. your 2.0 series (2.0.1,
2.0.10, 2.0.54...) would be the stable release, and your 2.1 series
would be the development series.

This allows your user base to get a sneak peak at new features, but
they know things can still change.  Your bleeding edge developers
can give you feedback if something you did broke their application
which means you have another Unit test you can include in Cocoon
to protect against that.

Whatever Cocoon chooses, it needs to do this ASAP.

-----Chris Rock