cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: memory leak?
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:46:09 GMT
Stephen Burns wrote:
> All,
>
> We've been using JProbe to profile our Cocoon app, and may have found a
> memory leak.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this variable, which lives inside
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory ?
> specifically when/where is the decommission method supposed to be
> called?
>
> private final StaticBucketMap m_composableProxies = new
> StaticBucketMap();
>
> We're seeing DefaultComponentFactory accumulate (and never release)
> references to
> org.apache.cocoon.webapps.authentication.components.AuthenticationManage
> r and org.apache.cocoon.webapps.session.components.SessionManager.
>
> This results in about 120KB leaking (haemorrhaging) per http request.

Hmm.  The DefaultComponentFactory is just a factory.  The actual
decomission()/destroy() method is supposed to be called in respect to
the component's lifestyle.

A threadsafe component is disposed when the ECM is disposed.
A pooled component is disposed when the pool tells it to.
A singlethreaded (transient) component is disposed when it is
released.

To help you more, I would need to know what the lifestyle of the
component is, and which version of ECM you are using.  I am hoping
that it is not the most recently released version.

-----Chris Rock