cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [PMC] PMC Chair Nominations
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:53:36 GMT
On 9/04/2003 14:53 Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> The only "problem" with this timeline is that the last few days fall over
> Easter, and I don't know if people here are going to be on vacation.

... seems like all this somehow stalled in a flurry of nominations,
withdrawals and chocolat easter eggs. Fair enough.

We still need to resolve the issue of Stefano's resignation, and the
longer we wait, the more awkward this stall looks like.

Most - if not all - of the (self-)nominated chair candidates stepped
down over the past few days, apart from myself, which leaves us with the
'option' of voting in favor or against my candidature. I'm still very
much willing to volunteer for this position, with your support of
course, so that the current vacuum is filled and we are able to work in
accordance with the foundation's rules.

I've been reviewing section 6.3 and 6.4 of the ASF bylaws [1], and the
amendments to these in the 18/Dec 2002 board minutes [2], and to be
honest, it's a bit unclear to me how we should proceed, so please chime
in if you can make more out of it.

AFAIU, a PMC is originally formed 'under surveillance' and 'under the
guidance' of an officer of the foundation, who coincidentally also
becomes the chair of that PMC (hence the topleveling of Cocoon/formation
of our PMC/Stefano becoming Cocoon PMC chair & officer of the
foundation). When a chair steps away however, not much has been
specified in the bylaws on how to proceed. We might look at Avalon as an
example ([3]).

My interpretation would be that we vote, and seek ratification of our
newly elected PMC chair with the board. If bylaws need to be expanded
wrt. PMC chairman changes, at least there is a use case to work on. If
the conclusion is this is the responsability of the PMC, even better: we
will be able to set up rotation and change management rules ourselves.

Either case, if we are left with only one candidate, I doubt whether we
need private ballots as Dirk & Pier suggested and might as well hold the
vote over here or on the PMC list. I'm fairly thick-skinned and would
honestly enjoy your comments, remarks, encouragements or warnings. :-)

Cheers,

</Steven>
________
[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html