cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Bug] default reader depends on JTidy!!!
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2003 07:17:00 GMT

Steven Noels wrote, On 23/04/2003 8.49:
> On 23/04/2003 8:22 Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> On this I agree with you. We have indeed decided *not* to follow a
>> "Grand Component Repository Scheme", heading instead for a more
>> pragmatic solution. In fact all project-specific components remain
>> with the projects, and all utility code goes in other places. What
>> remains are common components, and keeping there in Avalon with common
>> access is IMHO the most sensible and easy thing to do to foster
>> cooperation with Avalon, that has instead always been seen as an ivory
>> tower.
>
> Cool. It's not my particular business, but I always thought Avalon is
> better at defining & implementing Component lifecycle management
> interfaces & containers rather than utility code, but it seems like
> reality is proving me wrong.

These are not generic utility code, these are Avalon Components.
Java utility code is being moved away, and mainly already has, along
with apps.
These are *shared* components, and that is why we need to open access to
other projects. It is not a place where Avaloners make components, but a
place *in* Avalon, where multiple projects cooperate on common
components. This helps us have a better relationship with our
"customers". Projects without users are generally of no use.

> Thanks for the patient explanation.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -