cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Elam <mi...@pcextremist.com>
Subject Re: Last-Modified and If-Modified-Since on pipelines
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 01:15:50 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Cool work, Miles! This would be one step further towards real
> proxy-friendliness of Cocoon: once Etag support is there we would be
> really close to proxy nirvana (not only for people behind a proxy but
> also for Cocoon used with an http accelerator in front of it). Could
> you please submit your patch to Bugzilla so that it doesn't get lost?
> I plan to review and commit it shortly (and will possibly need your
> help in testing and documenting it), but have no CVS access ATM.

Thanks.  With regard to bugzilla, there's another bug there regarding
Last-Modified headers (bug 7952) but it's targeted toward 2.0x and
appears a bit stale.  I'll create a new bug and folks can
redirect/reference as they wish I guess.  The new bug is 19206.

I have some preliminary ETag code but I'm stuck on a particular issue:
what to hash on.  Is there a ready-to-use routine for computing a hash
code from a byte array?  I was originally going to do it off of
timestamp and then the Object.hashCode() of the CachedValue entry.  This
doesn't really buy much more than Last-Modified though: it's only an int
and is tied to the cache object rather than the value held by the cache
object.  The only thing that really makes sense to me is actually
working off the byte array.  But then constructing the CachedValue
object will take longer and be more expensive.  Thoughts?  Does it
really matter for a first implementation or should I just go ahead with
hashCode()?

- Miles Elam