cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Distilling the requirements for Block Support
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2003 14:34:40 GMT
Vincent tencé wrote:
> There seem to be interest in the block concept at avalon-dev as well, which
> is rather good news. But where do we go from there? What actions should we
> take to bring it one step further? Unless it's already been thought/written
> by some Peter out there ;-)

I think everyone at Avalon agrees that there is a need, but the name
should be changed to "Bundle" or "Assembly" or something like that.
I personally prefer Bundle.

> Serioulsy, I'd like to make that a reality because I think it's vital to
> GuiApp. I don't think it can wait too long either. Maybe it's something we
> should experiment on our own and then adapt to Avalon specs when they come
> out. Stefano seems to have great interest in this as well for Cocoon. Maybe
> he already has something working?

:)  Well we could do that.  Stefano has a general concept, but I am not
sure they have it working fully, yet.

> Do you have any action plan? Anyway I need to think about this myself and
> see what would be my requirements.

One resource that would be good to look at is here:

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/SystemOverview/Bundles/index.html

or in PDF form here:

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/SystemOverview/SystemOverview.pdf

I would like to extract what makes sense and ignore what doesn't.
I like the simplicity of how Bundles are supposed to work.  Apple
provides an API to access the bits in the bundle, which would be
a good thing.  That way as the contents/layout of bundles change,
we can still get at them.

Also we need to look at things like Eclipse plugins or IDEA plugins
for integrating UI elements together as one cohesive whole--without
requiring the plugin writer to have a bunch of management code. I.e.
as declarative as possible.

-----Chris Rock