cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: benchmarking Cocoon?
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2003 12:46:02 GMT
Argyn wrote:
> Look, when I buy a car I know that 100hp for a family sedan with auto
> transmission is "not enough for me". There are many other things involved,
> handling, steering, etc. But this horsepower thing (whatever it means) is a
> strong marketing argument. Do you think I know how they measure it? I've no
> clue. I even suspect that it has nothing to do with real horses. And even if
> it had, I've no clue how much power has a horse. Normal horse, besides there
> are hundreds of breeds of horses... The point is that people ask this
> question "Is Cocoon fast". I've been asked it many times. The must be an
> answer. I should say "Here's the benchmark. Run it on your hardware, and
> give me a break, please".

:)

Occording to my old science books, 1 HP was the measurement for
acceleration on a 500lb weight if a horse hauled it.

It was origianally measured as 500 ft-lb/s/s

To reduce friction, they did not drag the weight along the ground, but
used a series of pulleys and rope to lift the weight in the air.

The result was an average of times.

Now-a-days, there is a very complex algorithm for it you can find on
the web.

The name Horse Power now has little to do with horses, but because it
is based on the original study, it still keeps the name.

-----Chris Rock