cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: benchmarking Cocoon?
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2003 21:24:47 GMT

Argyn wrote, On 19/04/2003 9.48:
> Hi
> Do you think there's a need for benchmarking Cocoon?

Yes :-)

Some time back, I had fun in comparing static site generation done with
Cocoon when changing cocoon.xconf params and code changes.

It was fun and very interesting to understand what the impacts of
changes meant for speed.

> It's quite often when people are introduced to Cocoon, that they ask "isn't
> this supposed to be slow?" Those who work with Cocoon, probably, think that
> its overhead is relatively small, that the real problems are in good
> stylesheets, transformers etc., i.e. those things which have nothing to do
> with Cocoon itself. However, people consider Cocoon as a package. This whole
> thing which does the job. So, the performance concern is valid.

Yup. There is also the possibility of an auto-adaptive Cocoon that can
auto-configure itself dynamically. To do it though, it needs first info
about himself.

> I've been thinking about meaningfull becnhmark for Cocoon, a la TPC. So, I
> can run it, and get the number(s), and say "yeah, this is not bad on
> WebLogic..." e.g.
> If anyone was thinking about it, why not discuss it. If not, then I'll
> forget it for a while.

Please continue.

There are three ways I see in which it can be tested:
1) time of functional tests that make queries to a running Cocoon
2) data collected during these functional tests inside Cocoon,
    by instrumentation of its internal engine
3) unit tests performances

The first thing to do IMHO is to create a test site, and a series of
tests. In this way we can start gathering info from instrumentation and
finally pinpoint the tests and make them "stable" in unit tests. Now
that we have Jetty in CVS, it should be possible to do these in Ant, and
we would do them in nightly tests. I have a machine on which it can run.

Wanna do some site tests? ;-)

PS: look at the Anteater tests in Cocoon and on the Anteater site

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -