cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: [FYI] usecase
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:11:10 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>Today I went online with my latest creation which is
>entirely based on cocoon 2.1-dev compiled today. This says it all about
>how confident I am about the code we have in CVS.
>I want to tell you how I did it and why I choose it.

Thanks for sharing with us !

>The site is very small. The IA diagram []
>lists no more than 10 different pages or decks of pages. Moreover, I've
>done *all* the work by myself. Everything, from taking the pictures,
>graphic design, CSS/HTML creation, programming, installing.
>The result is:
> 1) no need for actions, everything is performed with 120 lines of
> 2) no business logic in the flowscript: I wrote a few java objects that
>implemented a really-poor-man file repository on top of the file system.
> 3) no use of XSP
> 4) use of style-clean XHTML for all document markup and velocity as
>template system for simple pages
> 5) no database. all information is stored in xml files in a virtual xml
>repository on disk.

Could you give us more details about this ? What's a "virtual xml
repository" ?

> 6) header/footer are not cincluded by they are 'wrapped' by a
>'style.xslt' stylesheet at the end of every pipeline. This concept of
>XSLT style wrapping is pretty cool and *much* more powerful than any
>server-side-include paradigm.
> 7) the site contains a complete CMS in the administrative section. user
>authentication is done via flowscript, connecting with a very simple
>user registry fed with file. really-poor-man-acl, you
>could say.
> 8) the admin section is heavily DHTML-ized. It works on all 6th
>generation browsers and the user is able to upload images and such
>without requiring rountripping

Too bad : the most interesting part isn't accessible :-(

Would be good if there was a non-official version somewhere
( ?) where people could play with it.

>but even better, go to and download
>that awesome plugin that shows you the dump of all the headers that flow
>thru between you and the server.

Wow, this is cool : you can't know how much I use "wget -S" to get the

>Hope this helps.

Looks nice !