cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Access to the object model in XTTL
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:54:56 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I've taken a pretty serious look at XQuery and I think that it fits the
> needs for what I wanted. Ivelin wrote a pretty nice article on it for
> xml.com, you might want to check it out.

+1, with a warning: XQuery is not supposed to react on an incoming data
feed but to "pull" data from somewhere and work on them. This means that
I don't really see how it might fit into a pipeline at a transformer
level since it doesn't have the idea of a incoming data stream.

> There is an implementation of XQuery that compiles the xquery template
> (in lack of another term) into bytecode, passing thru Kawa which is a
> scheme2java compiler.
>
> Look at it here
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/qexo/
>
> The concept is pretty cool, even if it doesn't touch the issues with
> data manipulation.
>
> Another implementation (which also has Cocoon 1.x hooks!) is
>
> http://kweelt.sourceforge.net/
>
> They are both GPLed.

Not really. Qexo is actually dual licensed: as long as you don't modify
it you're pretty much free to do what you want with it. I asked on
community@ and had a green light from Roy in including it in the ASF CVS
tree. Not that I like the idea: it seems to me that some modification is
required to have it work with Cocoon, but this is where it stands.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Pro-netics s.r.l.