cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [RT] error-handling for "cocoon:" pipelines
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:06:17 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

> <snip/>

>>> Ah, sorry I didn't understood that you were proposing that.
>>

>> It was my way to object to proposed changes :)
>>
>>> But isn't this also too limiting ?
>>

>> First of all, it is straightforward and fare: you have handler - it's
>> always executed. you don't have handler - it's never executed. No
>> automagical stuff you were against recently. And second, it's not
>> limiting: you still can do what these guys were after. Remember the
>> principle:
>>
>>    Easy stuff should be easy to do, and complex stuff should be
>> possible to do.
>>
>> (or something like this, don't remember exact wording :)
>

> "Simple things should be simple, complex things should be possible"
> (Alan Kay)

Thanks!

>>> And writing the same pipeline twice really looks like code
>>> duplication that we all know to be soooo bad ;-)
>>

>> I feel it's not good idea to have pipeline used in both ways -
>> internally via cocoon protocol and externally. I think we have kind
>> of consensus here saying that pipelines accessed by cocoon protocol
>> should be internal-only="true".
>

> This makes sense. I'm sometimes FS-infected ;-)

Good. I mean good that it makes sense. Not that last part about FS :)

> But this is an incompatible change with what we have today...

And that's why I'm ok with solution 1/ Error handling controlled by the
called pipeline, because it supports both a) current implementation, and
b) solution 3/; even though solution 3/ seems more like clean approach
to me.

Vadim