cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [RT] error-handling for "cocoon:" pipelines
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:39:55 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>> <snip/>
>>
>>> There are two ways to consider this problem.
>>>
>>> 1/ Error handling is controlled by the called pipeline
>>

>> <snip/>
>>
>>> 2/ Error handling is controlled by the caller
>>

>> <snip/>
>> Ahem... Let me repeat myself as I've got no feedback:
>>
>> 3/ Error handler is called always [1]
>

> Ah, sorry I didn't understood that you were proposing that.

It was my way to object to proposed changes :)

> But isn't this also too limiting ?

First of all, it is straightforward and fare: you have handler - it's
always executed. you don't have handler - it's never executed. No
automagical stuff you were against recently. And second, it's not
limiting: you still can do what these guys were after. Remember the
principle:

    Easy stuff should be easy to do, and complex stuff should be
possible to do.

(or something like this, don't remember exact wording :)

> And writing the same pipeline twice really looks like code duplication
> that we all know to be soooo bad ;-)

I feel it's not good idea to have pipeline used in both ways -
internally via cocoon protocol and externally. I think we have kind of
consensus here saying that pipelines accessed by cocoon protocol should
be internal-only="true".

Vadim