cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Contributing to cocoon
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 12:29:01 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:

>On śro, kwi 09, 2003 at 01:57:47 +0200, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>

>>Le Mercredi, 9 avr 2003, ? 13:26 Europe/Zurich, Leszek Gawron a écrit :
>>

>>>Could anyone provide me with a description how to prepare a development
>>>environment that would support contributing to cocoon....
>>>

>>The bare minimum is a JDK (1.3.1 or later) and a CVS client.
>>
>>http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=WhereToGet21Dev contains
>>up-to-date info about how to get the latest source code.
>>

>I am a cocoon user about 10 months now so I quite know how to get the snashot
>and build it. Lately I got stuck into some problems I wanted to solve myself
>and send a patch but the problem is that developing with current lifecycle
>would be a nightmare
>
>1. build cocoon
>2. debug component
>3. find a problem
>4. edit source code
>5. rebuild whole cocoon
>6. restart container or at least a webapp
>
>I am used to do little changes and a lot of testing. Using this approach it
>would take days to implement anything. Therefore I remember seeing something
>like "webapp-local" that compiled cocoon to .class files with no jar packaging
>which would speed up cocoon rebuilding a lot.

In 2.1, it's now called "build webapp", and the result of this build is
used by "cocoon servlet".

To speed up build time, you may want to create a
"local.build.properties" files containing the following :
exclude.javadocs=true
exclude.idldocs=true

>The second thing would be to be able to both edit and BUILD cocoon under
>eclipse. If that could be done cocoon could be develped as easily as a
>standard application under ie. VC++

I personally use Eclipse to edit and compile, but I build from the
command line. To set up the Eclipse project, you have to run "build
eclipse-project".

Sylvain