cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] Removing Roles File?
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 13:47:40 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

<snip/>

> Pretty standard placement of meta-info files.
>
> At the root of the jar that is run with Fortress's ANT tools is a
> "services.list" file.  This tells fortress which service entries
> are available in the JAR.
>
> It then uses that information to load in all the JAR Services
> compliant entries.  For instance, the file might have:
>
> org.apache.cocoon.generate.Generator
> org.apache.cocoon.transform.Transformer
>
> And in the JAR file there would be another list for the implementations
> of each service:
>
> META-INF/services/org.apache.cocoon.generate.Generator
>          (lists all implementations in the jar)
> META-INF/services/org.apache.cocoon.transform.Transformer
>          (lists all implementations in the jar)
>
> The classes aren't loaded until they are actually needed.

Sounds good. +1 !

However, there's a limitation on ClassLoader that you must be aware of
(if you don't know it already) : although methods loadClass() and
getResource() can be redefined to change the priority order between the
current classloader and its parent, the getResources() method is final,
meaning the returned enumeration will always with resources defined on
the ancestor classloaders.

Don't know if this is a problem for Fortress, but this has to be known.

>>> This should not only make things easier for the migration to any
>>> container the Avalon team could possibly think of in the future,
>>> it also provides a much easier way to integrate user components
>>> in Cocoon based applications.
>>

>> I like it.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I would suggest to do the transition from ECM to Fortress for Cocoon
>> 2.2, anybody against this?
>

> I am for it.  It might help with the Block initiative.

+1 for transition to Fortress in 2.2

Sylvain