cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Resigning from Cocoon PMC Chair
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 12:05:45 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

>>> I propose and would vote for Carsten Ziegler, and Sylvain if he doesn't
>>> want to.
>>

> Geez! Carsten, Steven, Sylvain...
> ...that's not an easy vote :-/

Yep. Not easy. So let's simplify it...

First of all, I must say that I'm *very honoured* to see people
spontaneously proposing me for the PMC chair. This makes me realize that
I have a place in this community whose importance I heavily
underestimated. And this feels good ;-)

Now, although honoured, and after having some deep thoughts (hence this
late reply), I don't want to be the PMC chair. There are several reasons
for this, which I explain below, in no particular order.

Personality. I'm much better at technical things than at managing and
organizing. I consider that most of the job of the PMC chair is composed
of legalese, reports and discussions with the ASF board. This isn't my
cup of tea and I don't think I would be very good at that. There's also
arbitration, which I may be better at. But this community rarely needs
arbitration. And it these rare occasions, we're most of the time able to
solve the problems through discussion and consensus.

Time. It has been said that being a PMC chair doesn't require so much
time. But I know myself : things that I must do but I find boring take
me twice (or more) the time really necessary to do them. I prefer using
my time available for Cocoon to more technical tasks. I also have a job
and a life which, although Cocoon is a part of them, I need to dedicate
time to.

Steven's candidature. I know Steven personally and appreciate him. Some
people seem not to like him, but we have to consider that only those
that do nothing never make mistakes. Steven participates to a lot of
things related to the ASF organization and this inevitably means that
some of his actions are not well perceived. But my overall opinion is
that Steven is the right person for the tasks that a PMC chairman has to
do. He also set up several good things for the Cocoon community : last
year's gettogether, the Cocoon wiki, etc.

Also, and I don't want to this to be taken as a criticism, I consider
Steven more suited for the chairman job than Carsten. I also know
Carsten personally and appreciate him, and think he's the same kind of
person as I am : a very good technician. And since the chairman job is
more organizational than technical, someone with strong organizational
abilities seems to me a better choice.

Now these are my personal opinions, and the community will choose.

Cheers,
Sylvain