cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Resigning from Cocoon PMC Chair
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 17:59:03 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 07/04/2003 18.53:
> I hereby resign from my ASF officer position of Apache Cocoon PMC Chair.

I think that many won't understand this much. I don't know if I
interpret you correctly, but I have been a chair of a project too,
Avalon, and know how one feels there.

Sam did a good outline of a Chair:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-general&m=104801348501009&w=2

Let me try to tell all what I understand of this. I hope it helps.

>                                   - o -
>
> The reasons for this are many, but mostly related to a general sense of
> friction brought together by my actions of moving the project forward
> and cleaning up all potential future legal problems.
>
> I now feel that my presence is an obstacle to the improvement of the
> diversity of this community, my position of 'sponsorship' often
> misinterpreted as 'leadership' and brings all sort of negativity on the
> table.

Stefano, this IMHO has nothing to do with you being chair. But everybody
please remember that being chair is a very strong feeling during
frictions, and Stefano has been both chair and part of these frictions
himself.

I am a project manager at work, so I kinda know how one feels during
these times, and was somewhat able to cope with it. But I know it's
*very* hard, and it does feel like a burden one has to carry alone.

> Moreover, I will be leaving for part two of my world tour in a few weeks
> and I won't be able to provide the oversight that my role requires and
> the board assumes.

Have a nice trip! :-)

Please do a blog, it will be fun to see!

> Some cocoon committers might feel responsible for this move or others
> might point fingers. Please don't. This idea of resigning has been
> around for months, I just happend to cross the borderline today.

Yes, I understand the feeling. Please guys, really try to understand
this. Being legally responsible for a project WRT the board is not
something that doesn't touch you.

> Interesting enough, I find myself relieved, not sad or angry or any
> negative feeling. This is very nice and will help me as well as the
> community to move forward.

If you felt the pressure, then this is just the right thing to do. It
will help both you and all of us, I'm sure.

Remember guys, the chair is *not* the technical lead. What do you want
Stefano to be, an apparatus man or the PITA the makes us *think*?

> Thanks for everything.

Stefano, thank you.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -