cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] the quest for the perfect template language
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 14:56:22 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 03/04/2003 13.12:
>
>> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>>> Apart from the fact that it lacks brackets, and thus needs an extra
>>> transformation, what does this give us?
>>

>> the beauty of the XSLT concepts without the mental drag of the xml
>> syntax.
>

> So it's just style, right?

style, mindset, syntax sugar, call it as you like. but a perfetly good
concept (RDF, for example) can be ruined by lack of style (its xml
syntax), just like a nice engine can be totally hidden inside an
ugly-looking car.

gosh, you are the first italian I ever heard that doesn't care about
style :-)

Guess why i bought a mac :-)

>> [note, since stylesheet are compiled in memory anyway, the extra
>> transformation doens't add any performance problems at runtime]
>
> I'd like to see that before believing. XSPs were compiled, hence the
> fastest... but oddly enough the interpreted sitemap is faster still.

There is nobody who is more blind that somebody who doesn't want to see.

Saint Thomas, look: if the syntax adaptation stage is done *before* the
execution, what difference can it possibly make at runtime?

>>> XSLT? I like it. For simple transformations IMHO it really rocks.
>>> With a relative small number of tags and some xpath it does almost
>>> all that is needed.
>>

>> The cost of writing a stylesheet is exponential with time and with
>> people involved. I want to solve this.
>

> And that's because of pointy brackets? The same holds true for Java or
> any language.
>
> XML has to be valid, and I like to be able to validate my XSLT
> stylesheet.

The parser that is responsible for transforming the non-xml syntax to
the xml one can be *MUCH* more validating than any xml schema language
and, for sure, much more precise in giving you error messages.

>I tried Velocity, but I kept outputting erroneously
> non-wellformed XML, and after a while I got fed up with it totally.

Velocity is text-based, my approach is sax based. Huge difference.

velocity has a nice syntax, but it's text-baseness is dead poor in a
sax-intensive environment like ours. besides the requirement of an extra
processing stage which blows the performance.

the idea to use a non-xml syntax for XSLT would allow the best of both
worlds:

   - friendly syntax
   - structured results

I really don't understand why some of you are so emotionally attached to
something like

  <xsl:if test="count(blah) &gt; 3">

but even more I'm surprised to see 'conservationism' on this list.

Are you guys getting old or shy or what? ;-)

--
Stefano.