cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] the quest for the perfect template language
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 14:13:28 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 03/04/2003 13.12:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> Apart from the fact that it lacks brackets, and thus needs an extra
>> transformation, what does this give us?
>
> the beauty of the XSLT concepts without the mental drag of the xml syntax.

So it's just style, right?

> Once for all: managers would stop thinking that since it's markup, their
> html kiddies should be able to play with it.
>
> XSLT is a full-blown programming language. Let's give it a real-man syntax.

Ahh, the "real programmer" (TM)... wasn't that the one coding like:
100100011101001...?  ;-P

> [note, since stylesheet are compiled in memory anyway, the extra
> transformation doens't add any performance problems at runtime]

I'd like to see that before believing. XSPs were compiled, hence the
fastest... but oddly enough the interpreted sitemap is faster still.

>> XSLT? I like it. For simple transformations IMHO it really rocks. With
>> a relative small number of tags and some xpath it does almost all that
>> is needed.
>
> The cost of writing a stylesheet is exponential with time and with
> people involved. I want to solve this.

And that's because of pointy brackets? The same holds true for Java or
any language.

XML has to be valid, and I like to be able to validate my XSLT
stylesheet. I tried Velocity, but I kept outputting erroneously
non-wellformed XML, and after a while I got fed up with it totally.

>> Do you remember at ApacheCon Europe, when the Xalan developers kept
>> saying that XSPs were irrelevant because XSLT could do all? *chuckle*
>
> Yes, and they have always been right and I've always known that.
>
> Still, while XSP wasn't a perfect solution, even XSLT isn't perfect.
>
> We should clear the whiteboard and converge the two worlds into one,
> taking the good part of both.

This sounds good +1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -