cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [heads-up] Updated upload system and fixed a bunch of security issues
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 14:06:17 GMT
First of all, the servlet api decided not to deal with the payload of
the servlet request in case of file-upload. So, either you parse the
inputstream yourself, or you wrap the request with something different.

Cocoon uses the second approach: the incoming servlet request is wrapped
  and this wrap provides a new method

  Object get (String name)

that can be called to access the uploaded files.

This approach is not optimal because:

  1) it creates an additional contract around the servlet API
  2) it is a weakly typed contract

In the future, we have to think at a better way to handle this, but for
now, let's stick with this.

The thing is even worse because cocoon allowed people to plug in their
own request factories. Thus making this contract 'shaky'.

I've just committed a patch that removes the ability to plug different
request factories. Now cocoon has its own. Hardwired. And this creates a
more solid contract that can be used thruout the framework and that you
can rely upon.

Note that the Cocoon Environment Request object transparently wraps
around the Object get(String name) method, so, you don't have to do any
type casting since this is transparently done for you.

The only difference is that since the Cocoon Environment doesn't specify
the *input part* object (this is something we'll have to do in the
future), the type casting is required to acquire the "input part" that
wraps around the uploaded file.

This is what I call "weakly typed" java contract. It looks like a
contract, but it's not.

Anyway, I also fixed a number of security issues. Most notably:

  1) uploaded files are saved on disk by default (and web.xml has been
changed accordingly) as a temporary storage.

  2) uploaded files saved on disk are removed right at the end of the
request. This assumes that you will handle the uploaded files yourself
and the upload-dir is only used as a temporary media. [This might break
back-compatibility on behavior, but I think it's a very sane thing to
cleanup after your own mess]

  3) I added a new servlet configuration parameter that disables
uploading completely. And defaults to off for security reasons.

  4) I also changed 'allow-reload' to false as default.

                                           - o -

Note that the above refactoring is partially back-incompatible because
the Object that wraps around the incoming request has been changed.

So, if you used an action for handling file upload, everything is safe
and totally back compatible.

If you wrote your own code into a component, xsp or flow, this has to
change.

So, here is the way you should handle the upload, for example, in flow:

Suppose you have the following HTML:

    <form action="/upload" method="POST" enctype="multipart/form-data">
     <input type="file" name="blah"/>
     <input type="submit" name="action" value="Upload"/>