cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] the quest for the perfect template language
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 10:39:55 GMT
Robert Koberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I going to snip alot because I wholeheartedly agree with most everything you
> wrote.

I gotta be kidding. All the graphic designers I know work from photoshop
to super-cross-platform HTML. And there is no way you can stick your
nose into that process.

Many of them are already usign CSS as much as they can, but the problem
is that CSS is not as cross-browser as we all would like it to be. For
example, not even gecko is able to render the <div style="display:
inline"> properly. Not even talking about KHTML or IE5.2 for mac.

The workflow is that they generate the graphics and somebody else
"mounts" it using XSLT.

This, in real life, doesn't work because no graphic designers wants to
deal with xslt and no programmer either, because they think it's a
boring job.

the figure of the 'xslt'-ist is a rare one. Mostly people that would be
programmers if only they knew how and had time to experiment more.

This is the problem with transformation-based templating.

So, IMO, it is useful to have both, so that you can adjust the
technology to map the skills in your workteam and not viceversa.

Stefano.