cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] the quest for the perfect template language
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 11:12:26 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 02/04/2003 20.25:
>
>> IMHO, the template language which is closer to the optimum is XSLT but
>> only with one change:
>>
>>  FORGET THE XML SYNTAX!
>

> *chuckle*   I see that your basicness is biting still ;-))

When you think your mental foundations are solid, it's the time when you
have to understand if that solidity is helping you or it's becoming an
obstacle.

> Apart from the fact that it lacks brackets, and thus needs an extra
> transformation, what does this give us?

the beauty of the XSLT concepts without the mental drag of the xml syntax.

Once for all: managers would stop thinking that since it's markup, their
html kiddies should be able to play with it.

XSLT is a full-blown programming language. Let's give it a real-man syntax.

[note, since stylesheet are compiled in memory anyway, the extra
transformation doens't add any performance problems at runtime]

> XSLT? I like it. For simple transformations IMHO it really rocks. With a
> relative small number of tags and some xpath it does almost all that is
> needed.

The cost of writing a stylesheet is exponential with time and with
people involved. I want to solve this.

> Do you remember at ApacheCon Europe, when the Xalan developers kept
> saying that XSPs were irrelevant because XSLT could do all? *chuckle*

Yes, and they have always been right and I've always known that.

Still, while XSP wasn't a perfect solution, even XSLT isn't perfect.

We should clear the whiteboard and converge the two worlds into one,
taking the good part of both.

Stefano.