cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] New version of XMLForm released
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 12:22:30 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 02/04/2003 12.47:
>
>> But I'm more than happy to see XMLForm being factored out because:
>>
>>  1) this removes the wrong marketing perception that XMLForm is *the*
>> solution for data-logic control.
>>
>>  2) allows people to experiment different approaches (XForm-based or
>> not) with the same level of confidence.
>>
>> Comments?
>

> I held back my comments till now because there was some negative
> energy going round, especially because of the way it was "proposed",
> but IMO factoring XMLForm out of Cocoon as a library to process XForms
> makes perfect techniological sense, both for Cocoon (as you nicely put
> it) and for XMLForm, as it would be usable like the Struts Validator
> is for example.

Does it so much make sense ? The main difference of XForms with other
"traditonal" forms is the client-side markup and this is where Cocoon
shines by allowing XForms markup to be translated to regular HTML until
browsers natively support it. A server-side implementation will mostly
concentrate on form validation, which is common to every webapp
framework, be it XForms-based or not.

So IMO an Cocoon-independent solution will be mainly a form validation
package, or it will have to reinvent some of the Cocoon mechanisms.

> I think though that this can grow into an Apache (sub)project. What
> would you suggest in this case?

Mmmh... Don't be too fast : let's wait and see how it evolves and what
community will be around it...

Sylvain