cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] New version of XMLForm released
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 12:15:09 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

<snip/>

> During the last year of consultancies, I found out that several people
> identified XMLForm as the possible way to turn cocoon into better
> webapp-capable system.

And having a good form-handling package in Cocoon is absolutely
necessary to have it adopted to build web applications. I can't remember
how many people asked me about Struts vs Cocoon. I know they are not
comparable, but these people were actually asking for a good forms
handling package.

And web applications are key for Cocoon's future, since even
publication-oriented sites now want CMS functions that are basically web
applications.

<snip/>

> and include all that 'somewhat-business-logic' that is sooooo common
> between webapps that should be factored out and provided directly by
> cocoon (as struts, somewhat, does).

And we should as far as possible build on some common mechanisms such as
commons-validator that will both factorize development effort, promote
cross-project pollinization and help people migrate from JSP/Struts
environments to Cocoon.

> But I'm more than happy to see XMLForm being factored out because:
>
>  1) this removes the wrong marketing perception that XMLForm is *the*
> solution for data-logic control.
>
>  2) allows people to experiment different approaches (XForm-based or
> not) with the same level of confidence.

FormValidationAction did not prevent XMLForm nor Precept to appear, but
these are good arguments to ensure further innovation and development in
this area. And, BTW, Precept is already a block.

So +1 for a block, but I'm still wanting the current XMLForm code base
to stay in Cocoon's CVS.

Sylvain