cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Continous Integration
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:33:29 GMT
Hi,

Being an adopter of XP, and especially the "Continous Integration" concept, I
have a bit of problems of a continous upgrade process in Cocoon.

The root of the problem, I think, is there is no differentiation between
"product" and "project", it is all tangled up in one large bundle, and the
build process will happily overwrite my carefully constructed top-level
sitemap.

I would like to have a scenario, where it would be possible to compile many
Cocoon versions, side-by-side, and that I have projects side-by-side
elsewhere. Deletion of Cocoon version should be possible without second
thoughts of what may die with it.

For instance;
/home/niclas/apps/cocoon-2.0/
/home/niclas/apps/cocoon-2.1/
/home/niclas/apps/cocoon-2.2/
/home/niclas/apps/cocoon-latest/

/home/niclas/cocoon-sites/bali/
/home/niclas/cocoon-sites/personal/
/home/niclas/cocoon-sites/romayev/

I can "repoint" Tomcat to use any of the "product directories" and I should be
able to "repoint" the "project directory" accordingly, preferably not inside
the Cocoon "product directory".

The "project directory" should also allow a "./lib/" directory for my own
code, and get loaded without any special configuration.

The "product" should contain one or more "project templates", minimalistically
a sitemap.xmap file, but more elaborate templates could be more complete.
Templates for "Virtual Hosts" or other special cases could be made.

The single issue is "How does Cocoon find the master sitemap??"
I don't have an answer to that. Environment variable? Java property? Tomcat
parameter? I honestly don't know what would work best, only that it should be
reasonably easy to access it, and probably not inside the "product
directory".

Anyone has comments?

Niclas Hedhman