cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] error-handling for "cocoon:" pipelines
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2003 14:51:47 GMT
On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 11:39:55AM -0400, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> I feel it's not good idea to have pipeline used in both ways -
> internally via cocoon protocol and externally. I think we have kind of
> consensus here saying that pipelines accessed by cocoon protocol should
> be internal-only="true".

Eek - no!!

A case study: the current Forrest sitemap makes heavy use of cocoon:
pipelines to define 'source' and 'intermediate' formats:

 - Requesting index.xml gives you the doc-v11 format XML
 - Requesting body-index.xml gives you HTML for just the page body
 - Requesting index.html gives you the whole page

These are neatly segregated into separate pipelines.  Access to 'source'
and 'intermediate' pipelines can be disabled easily by switching
internal-only to "true".

However, when debugging its really useful to have access to
cocoon:-generated XML, so currently internal-only is switched off.

IMHO, visibility of cocoon: pipelines is something the user should be
able to decide.  There are perfectly good reasons for keeping them
visible, and its very simple to hide them if necessary.

--Jeff