cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <o...@vip.net.pl>
Subject Re: Contributing to cocoon
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 12:05:13 GMT
On śro, kwi 09, 2003 at 01:57:47 +0200, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Le Mercredi, 9 avr 2003, ? 13:26 Europe/Zurich, Leszek Gawron a écrit :
>
> >Could anyone provide me with a description how to prepare a development
> >environment that would support contributing to cocoon....
>
> The bare minimum is a JDK (1.3.1 or later) and a CVS client.
>
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=WhereToGet21Dev contains
> up-to-date info about how to get the latest source code.
I am a cocoon user about 10 months now so I quite know how to get the snashot
and build it. Lately I got stuck into some problems I wanted to solve myself
and send a patch but the problem is that developing with current lifecycle
would be a nightmare

1. build cocoon
2. debug component
3. find a problem
4. edit source code
5. rebuild whole cocoon
6. restart container or at least a webapp

I am used to do little changes and a lot of testing. Using this approach it
would take days to implement anything. Therefore I remember seeing something
like "webapp-local" that compiled cocoon to .class files with no jar packaging
which would speed up cocoon rebuilding a lot.

The second thing would be to be able to both edit and BUILD cocoon under
eclipse. If that could be done cocoon could be develped as easily as a
standard application under ie. VC++

> >...Is it possible to build and run cocoon under eclipse? I haven't
> >tried it myself
> >but I read a lot of posts here that there are problems with it.
>
> Haven't tried it myself, but you can always use Eclipse or any IDE to
> edit the code and switch to the command-line for compiling and running.
> If you search "eclipse" on the wiki there is some info.
>
> (I hope I'm not being too obvious here, don't know where you're
> starting from ;-)
a little further than you assumed :)
	ouzo

--