cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [RT] Link Rewriting
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:57:45 GMT

On Monday, April 28, 2003, at 03:30 PM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeremy Quinn wrote, On 28/04/2003 16.16:
>> Most of what I have described here, is how most people use Cocoon.
>> What is new here is the use of a LinkMap at the Generation stage to
>> de-couple URL from SystemID in a totally arbitrary way. A version of
>> the LinkMap idea that makes sense for Dynamic sites. This is what
>> requires changes to the way we are able to use input modules, as
>> input modules would provide a much cleaner path to handle this rather
>> than Transforming a generated LinkMap into CInclude tags to get the
>> content.
>> Does this make any sense to anybody?
>
> Sure it does, although IMHO it's more suited to forrest-dev than
> cocoon-dev ATM.

Agreed

> What you describe here is what I calla resourcemap, that is a
> descriptor that creates a mapping between a conceptual source space
> and the actual source locations.
>
> If you search the forrest-dev mailing list for resourcemap, you should
> find plenty of RTs, even quite recent.

OK, this does not surprise me ;)

> A brief explanation:
>
> There are different URI spaces:
>
> 1 - the actual sources
> 2 - a conceptual aggregated source space

By this you mean something like a mixture of sources, like some from
file, some from XMLDB, or mixed URLs like this:

   http://www.iniva.org/library/123456
         +-------------+-------+------+
                |          |      |
           virtual host   file  SQL ID

> 3 - the actual URIs
> 4 - a conceptual URI space
>
> The current link rewriting is used to make users be able to use 4 and
> obtain 3.

Which is logical for Forrest

> What you (and I) feel the need of too, is to have 2 map to 1, so that
> I can easily swap content sources and keep the sitemap as-is.

Particularly when the URL space and System ID space are arbitrarily
different.

regards Jeremy

"Objective reality is a synthetic construct, dealing with a
hypothetical universalization of a multitude of subjective realities."
Philip K Dick - "The Electric Ant"