cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: [RT] Towards a new/another Forms Framework
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2003 21:23:48 GMT
On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 20:39, Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
[...]
> We're currently doing something like this:  we've got a metadata model that
> is mapped using a schema to a XML template that the users can modify to
> create forms and other screens (eg; lists).  We've currently got a poorly
> typed presentation syntax that gets mixed in with the object model created
> from the metadata (it needs to have it's own schema but it's not yet a
> priority).
>
> Basically, in our model there are common presentation types that any object
> can utilize.  Objects are metadata mappings of Java objects.  The creation
> of the metadata object descriptions is driven from a database in our system,
> but could be done with static XML descriptions (and was initially done this
> way until the EJB's to get the stuff in and out of the database existed).

Before I reply to the rest of your mail: I don't think I've understood
much of the above.

What exactly is described in your "metadata model"? Is it a sort of
description of the things that can be put in forms?

And what exactly is the "object model"? Is it an object model of the
metadata itself? In that case, where is the actual instance data of the
things described in the metadata stored? Is there also an object
structure for that?

But it's getting late here, I'll reread it in the morning.

> > (BTW, not using XML, XML validation, and XPath expressions as
> > request parameter names is a conscious choice, so what I'm
> > describing here is quite orthogonal to XMLForm, and leaning
> > more towards FormValidatorAction. XML will of course be used
> > extensively for publishing and configuration.)
>
> By saying orthogonal I assume (hope) you're describing what you perceive as
> a modeling requirement in _addition_ to XMLForm?  I don't think you want to
> abandon XMLForm? It would seem to be good to have a standard way of
> describing presentation semantics and I want to migrate our presentation
> semantics to XMLForm in future versions of what we are doing...

I meant the XMLForm framework from Cocoon, not so much the W3C XForms
specification.

[... I'll reply to the rest tomorrow ...]