cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "ivelin" <ive...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XMLForm & JSF
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:09:52 GMT
> Well, yes and no.  Yes in the sense that it make sense to separate
business
> rule (work flow type things) validation from presentation validation.  No
in
> that I'm not sure that the processes for doing the two types of validation
> necessarily have to be different?  Perhaps since basic date validation,
> number validation, etc. is common and can be easily coded (relative to
> business rules) perhaps it makes sense to just have a bunch of common Java
> classes hanging around for handling that type of validation.

True. Sometimes it is more convenient to maintain simple Java classes than
schematron files.
It is easy enough to implement the Validator interface and pass it to the
Form.

>  Since business
> rules can be complex and often need a lot of maintenance maybe having them
> buried in a bunch of Java code might be not so good (I realize you said
> "appropriate tools").  As such, XSLT and it's rules handing capabilities
> might make more sense for the business rules related stuff (heavy weight
> tools for heavy weight rules evaluation)?

Perhabs. Haven't looked at XSLT as something appropriate for complex logic.
I personally find Java easier to maintain.

> > Localization is not built in Schematron and I am not sure
> > that it should be. Here is an email from Rick Jeliffe, the
> > Schematron author, that addresses the issue:
> > http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200201/msg01134.html
> > He simply recommends that schemas should be written for each
> > language. German schema for german rules with german text,
> > english for english, etc. What that means for XMLForm is that
> > there needs to be a mechanism to lookup Validator with
> > associated schema per locale. This is already available in
> > Commons Validator, but the solution seems somewhat
> > counterintuitive to me.
>
> I had given a little thought about using different Schematron for
different
> locales but hadn't explored it yet.  If you consider that any common
> validation can be included in the locale specific validation that makes a
> lot of sense.  You can also use the same mechanism for choosing which
> Schematron to use as it used for picking properties files...

That's what I was thinking as well.

Ivelin