cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Conal Tuohy" <con...@paradise.net.nz>
Subject RE: Semantic analysis of the namespace URI used in Cocoon HEAD
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 04:22:30 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> In light of contrast solidity, I armed myself with grep and
> patience and
> went thru the entire CVS HEAD to find out all the cocoon-related
> namespace URIs that we use.

<snip content="huge list of NS URIs and analysis"/>

It's a long list - and it gives an idea of the huge feature set Cocoon has!

> I'm perfectly aware that all those changes are back-incompatible, but,
> IMO, we *MUST* make an effort to keep a registry of the
> namespaces used
> and make sure we both control them and keep an eye on their pattern
> coherence.

I think a registry of the namespaces is a great idea!

As well as regularising the URIs, I think the namespaces themselves should
be documented, by making these URIs actually point to e.g. RDDL documents,
or failing that, XHTML or HTML documents at least :-)

I don't know if the base URL http://apache.org/cocoon would facilitate that?
Currently that URI points to 404, so that's a good sign that it could become
the base URI of a NS registry without breaking anything else.

> I also propose that *everytime* code is added in CVS that
> introduces or
> works on a new namespace, a vote has to take place on the URI used for
> that namespace.

... and a descriptive document posted to the website.