cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Argyn" <akuketa...@cox.net>
Subject RE: benchmarking Cocoon?
Date Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:35:02 GMT
Andrew

I've my own benchmark. It says that C#/.NET is not faster than Java/JVM.
Results are so close, that I was greatly surprised.

> Following this a noted Java/AOP expert replied showing flaws in the
> benchmark and said "No it isn't"
>
> It turned out that the benchmark was funded (BTW) by
> Microsoft, not that it
> Influenced the result of course.  :-)

Actually, there was some truth in the results. After this "benchmark", Sun
has updated its "blueprints" document. I think that the old version of
blueprints as well as so called "J2EE design patterns" made people to the
design, which failed miserably in comparison to .NET.

> In the end you're still benchmarking the people more than the
> technology,
> but that¹s probably just as important if its all OpenSource.

I didn't mean comparison benchmarks, btw. I also didn't mean profiling,
where you identify bottlenecks and fix them.

I thought there could be Cocoon's benchmark, which produces some meaningful
numbers. It doesn't have to be a comparison benchmark.

So, people looking at this numbers can judge for themselves if it's fast
enough. I think that numbers must be for many concurrent users like
50-100-1000. There's no need to say that Cocoon is faster than XXX. All the
user should know is if it's fast enough.

thanks,
Argyn